Summer Palace is one of the four famous gardens in China. The imperial gardens of the Qing Dynasty are located in Haidian District, Beijing, covering an area of 290 hectares. The Summer Palace is the largest and most complete imperial garden in China. It was listed in the World Heritage List in 1998.
The Summer Palace is mainly composed of Longevity Hill and Kunming Lake. The water surface accounts for three-quarters of the total. There are more than 100 scenic buildings and 3555 ancient buildings in the park. Among them, Foxiang Pavilion, Long Corridor, Suzhou Street and Seventeen-hole Bridge are representative buildings. More than 1600 ancient and famous trees. Down from the top of Longevity Hill, there is a "corridor" with a length of more than 700 meters. There are more than 8,000 colored paintings on the beams of the corridor, which is known as "the first corridor in the world", and before the corridor is Kunming Lake. The garden has beautiful mountains, beautiful waters, towering corridors and pavilions, and brilliant gold and green. It has a very high position in the history of Chinese and foreign garden art.
The Summer Palace has been seriously damaged twice in its history. In 1860, it was burned down by the Anglo-French coalition forces, rebuilt and renamed the Summer Palace. In 1900, it was destroyed again by the eight-nation coalition forces, and it was rebuilt in 1902, that is to say, on its present scale. The predecessor of the Summer Palace is Qingyi Garden, a subsidiary garden of Yuanmingyuan. In the fifteenth year of Qianlong reign (1750), Emperor Qianlong built it for his mother's life. In 1860, Qingyiyuan was burned by the British and French coalition forces. In 1888, during the reign of Guangxu in the Qing Dynasty, Cixi rebuilt the site with naval and other funds and renamed it the Summer Palace. In 1900, the Summer Palace was severely damaged by the Allied Forces of the Eight Powers and was restored in 1903.