Saint Sophia Cathedral in Harbin is one of the 17 churches in Harbin. It is the largest Orthodox Church in the Far East.
Saint Sophia Cathedral
During the period from Qianlong to Yongzheng in the Qing Dynasty, the feudal dynasty, in order to stabilize its dynasty, vigorously built churches of Buddhism, Islam and Jesus religion. The Kuomintang bourgeois revolution yearned for the progressive civilization education in the West and began the construction of modern civilization. But the Western churches were consciously preserved. As a church building in Europe, it is different from the practical structure and solemn decoration of Chinese civil architecture. It is worshipped for expressing its mystery through the twists and turns of its internal structure. It is elevated by the elegance of decoration.
St. Sophia Cathedral was built in 1907. It was originally built for the 4th Infantry Division of Eastern Siberia in Tsarist Russia. It has a wooden structure. It covers an area of 721 square meters and has a height of 53.35 meters. The main entrance is a bell tower with 14 bells, the largest of which weighs 1.8 tons. It is the symbol of a typical European church.