Tengwang Pavilion, one of the three famous buildings in the south of the Yangtze River, is located in the East Bank of Ganjiang River, Nanchang City, Jiangxi Province. It was first built in the fourth year of Yonghui of Tang Dynasty (AD 653). It was named after Li Yuanying, the younger brother of Li Shimin, Emperor Taizong of Tang Dynasty. Tengwang pavilion has experienced vicissitudes of life. It has been destroyed and built 29 times in history, which is rare in the world. Now, the loft was built in 1983, with a height of 57.5m. The main building has 9 floors, 80 meters long from north to south, 140 meters wide from east to west, occupying 47000 square meters. It is full of strong architectural style of Song Dynasty.
Tengwang pavilion was built in 653 A.D. after the Song, Yuan, Ming and Qing Dynasties, and after many times of destruction and restoration, it has greatly changed the scale and style of the building. In 1108, tengwangge collapsed because of its disrepair. After the restoration of Fantan, the scale of tengwangge was larger than that of Tang Dynasty, forming a large-scale building complex. The last time Tengwang pavilion was damaged was in 1926, which was destroyed by fire. In 1983, Tengwang pavilion was rebuilt and the main building was designed by using the architectural sketch in the court of Song Dynasty. In October 1989, the new Tengwang pavilion was completed, which is now Tengwang Pavilion.
According to legend, Li Yuanying, the 22nd son of Li Yuan, the Gaozu of Tang Dynasty, was not in a good political situation until 639, when he was named king Teng. Li Yuanying was influenced by the court life when he was young. He was good at painting and calligraphy. He also loved music, opera and dance. In 683, at the initiative of some princes, King Teng decided to build a pavilion on the hills near the river. With his power and financial resources, in a few months, a majestic pavilion was built on the hillock beside the river. From then on, he used to drink wine, write poems, sing and dance. Li Yuanying himself never thought that his building of the pavilion had left a precious cultural heritage for Nanchang, which played an important role in the cultural exchange between the north and the south, as well as the development and prosperity of songs and dances in the south of the Yangtze River. After the completion of the pavilion, Hongzhou officials named it "Tengwang Pavilion" after Li Yuanying.
Today, Tengwang pavilion scenic spot has become a landmark scenic spot in Nanchang, integrating history and culture. In Tengwang pavilion, you can not only look at Nanchang City, but also understand the architectural history of tengwang pavilion and appreciate many historical relics, such as the famous "longevity the best in all the land".