Pingyao Ancient City
Pingyao Ancient City was built in the reign of King Xuanwang of Zhou Dynasty. It was expanded in the three years of Hongwu of Ming Dynasty (1370). It has a history of more than 2700 years. The layout of residential buildings is rigorous, with clear axes, symmetrical left and right, clear primary and secondary, undulating contours, and closed appearance. Exquisite wood carving, brick carving and stone carving with strong local flavor of paper-cut window flowers, lifelike. So far, the Ancient city's walls, streets, residential buildings, shops, temples and other buildings are still basically intact, the original architectural pattern and features remain largely unchanged. Most of the treasures in the ancient buildings in the city and its suburbs are well preserved. They are the organic components of the existing historical relics in Pingyao ancient city.
Pingyao ancient city wall is the representative of the ancient city, with a perimeter of 6.4 kilometers. It is the oldest and largest existing city wall in Shanxi Province. Both Ming and Qing dynasties had repairs, but basically the shape and structure of the early Ming Dynasty. The city is square, the wall is about 12 meters high, all the exterior bricks are built, the mound built on the wall, the moat outside the wall, 4 meters deep and wide. The city wall has six gates, two East and two west, one north and one south. The original city building on the city gate, there are corner towers around the corner, most of them are damaged, but the city wall is still the same. The streets, buildings and shops in the city still retain their original form.
In 1997, the UNESCO World Heritage Committee listed Pingyao Ancient City on the World Heritage List.